Listen, My Children...

Every Little Helps

Saturday, May 01, 2004

Asian Fetishes


The Volokh Conspiracy makes my day by taking on the "you like Asians? you're racist!" crowd:
If I'm right, then what's the reason for the 'they just want submissive women' theory? Part of it might be that this was indeed once the preference for some men, for instance those bringing home war brides or mail-order brides -- I'm just purely hypothesizing here, since I have no reason to think that this is so, but at least I can't rule it out.

But part, I think, might be the tendency of some people -- at least in some circles -- to like theories that place men, and especially white men, in a negative light, the 'men are pigs' / 'white men are oppressors' theories. Many people who like those theories don't actually hate white men (some might be white men, and some might sleep with white men). Rather, they adopt the theories because in certain circles those theories have a certain fashionable cachet, as signs of deep and power-structure-subversive understanding. And this is so even when the theory seems to have no empirical foundation.

Or am I mistaken? Is there any real evidence that most white men, or even a substantial number of white men, today who prefer Asian women do so because they think that Asian women are more likely to be submissive?
It keeps going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home