Listen, My Children...

Every Little Helps

Thursday, December 11, 2003

One more thing


Ok, ok, one last thing: when people used to ask me, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I would answer, "a tap-dancing grocer." No, seriously. I have a drawing of myself, executed at age five, in such a role (with the addition of my location up a tree).

Today, when I get asked similar questions, I have a similarly unfeasible dream: I want to be William Safire. He writes like a dream, is generally sensible and knowledgeable, and he gets to be syndicated for a grammar and language column.

(On the other hand: I have no idea why they put the "Readers' Opinions" side bar in. It is obviously selected somewhat at random, or Friedman's column would never have gotten anti-Jewish comments perma-posted. But what does it show? The weak logic and soundbites -- to say nothing of ridiculous grammar -- of NYTimes readers, more than anything else, I fear.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home