Listen, My Children...

Every Little Helps

Monday, November 10, 2003

Please don't supersize it!


So I hear, increasingly often, about making bigger products for hugely fat people (link: Drudge). "While some researchers say the products can help overcome the stigma of being overweight, others suggest they might encourage obesity by making extra-large the norm," an article says.

Should there not be a stigma to being overweight, the same as a stigma to using foul language in polite situations, or a stigma (which definitely exists in much of the USA) to chain-smoking or drinking heavily, if you want something as genetically predisposed as obesity?

I side with the "others" in that quote; those of you who have met me know I'm fairly heavy. I refuse to shop at plus-size stores and wear tents, however, so my size has had to top out at Express size 14. Trendy stores aimed at obese young women, like Torrid, are not what I want! I do enjoy that they make clothes for the under-50 plus-size demographic, but they are another deterrent from further growth gone down the drain.

Making everything larger, from airplane seats to bustiers to bathtubs, and telling eating-concern helplines to say that being fat is not a problem is not the way to go. (I've called Harvard's helpline, out of curiosity, and was told that my self-esteem was much more important than my health; I should learn to love my body as it is and not force it to conform to societal norms of "healthy weight.") Richard Simmons (eww) attributes his pursuit of a healthy body to the politically incorrect statement of a friend that he was going to die if he stayed that fat. A fellow on the news started dieting (and lost over a hundred pounds) when the airlines told him he'd have to start buying two seats. People need wake-up calls; society today does give them, and we should not be telling society to shut up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home