Listen, My Children...

Every Little Helps

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

On Typecasting


I'm the kind of person actors hate. I will always see William Shatner as Kirk, no matter what low-quality movies he's in. I just saw an advertisement for PBS's "Oklahoma," starring Wolverine. I just bought a very enjoyable version of "A Christmas Carol," by all accounts, but it was starring Jean-Luc Picard. This handicap of mine is not confined to modern (or sci-fi) films; I recently saw "In the Good Old Summertime," a movie whose main memorable features are the title song and Judy Garland, but which also features an aged Buster Keaton. Yes, the Great Stone Face who was so excellent in silent comedies. I could hardly watch the movie -- every time he showed up, all I could think was, "it's Buster Keaton!" It's like seeing Meg Ryan trying to star as Sylvia Plath. In all of her movies, even when she was supposed to be a brilliant physicist, she's been the blonde ditz from "When Harry Met Sally"; seeing her in an incongruous role, even if she could somehow manage it, would just be distracting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home