Listen, My Children...

Every Little Helps

Saturday, August 02, 2003

On HIV


This article in the NYTimes is distressing:
According to figures just released by the Centers for Disease Control, the number of new AIDS cases rose last year for the first time in a decade. Four Americans now become infected with the disease every hour. Many of our young men see infection as a right of passage, an inevitable coming of age. I hear of them seeking the disease as entree into the cool, queer inner circle that being negative denies them.

I've heard this many times, this story of young men, especially in New York City, actively seeking to become HIV+ to feel "included." I have also been called bigoted and homophobic for sending just a link to an article on the topic, with no comments on my part, to an open email list -- apparently, according to my attackers, that story is made up by people who want to smear the reputation of homosexuals. Perhaps, now that it's in the NYTimes, people will believe it and realize that there is a problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home