Listen, My Children...

Every Little Helps

Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Goodbyes


I just gave the Scary One his wedding present (a tablecloth I crocheted for him), and then said my farewells, bravely managing to hold back the flood until after he left. He's been my joy and my comfort for four years; he held me on September 11 when I thought it was the end of the world and couldn't move from the television I'd bought on the tenth, he moved my things into and out of storage and took a box to the post office when I mis-timed my flight home one year and had to leave directly from my math final, he comforted and encouraged me when Bob was being depressed, he complimented me always when I needed it and it always sounded genuine. Had things gone differently, we could have made each other very happy (very fat, but very happy). As it is, I'll go to his wedding in two weeks, and then we'll send Christmas cards.

I thought it would be the same as the parting after high school graduation, not remembering that said parting involved pretty regular trips home at the same time and a rather slow drifting-apart, rather than a sudden and pretty final farewell. This is much harder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home