Listen, My Children...

Every Little Helps

Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Looting, again


From Kanan Makiya
One friend told me that the looting of the National Museum--something that cut deeply into me--was the work of newly deposed Baathist officials, who had been selling off our patrimony as they saw their days were numbered. As the regime fell, these (ex-)Baathists went back for one last swindle, and took with them treasures that dated back 9,000 years, to the Sumerians and the Babylonians. One final crime perpetrated by Saddam's thugs.

Should have guessed. Of course, there will also have been some people who were just in for the ride, like the German exchange student who lived with my family in eleventh grade -- she said she and her friends would skip school whenever there was a rally going on, regardless of what the "issue" was, just because it was fun.

UPDATE: I see that Josh is skeptical. All I know is, from my knowledge of him and his family, none of them will say things they know to be untrue just to support their point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home